How often do you read books ...

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

How often do you read books in English

Варианты ответов Мой голос

Внимание! Для голосования Вам нужно пройти авторизацию
 автор  сообщение

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 17:21  
Hello. As for me, I read some fairy-tales in English. Now I'm going to read more serious book in English. But my language isn't enough good to read very complicated book. What would you advise me?
–––
We all end in the ocean All start in the streams
We're all carried along By the river of dreams

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 17:27  
Sometimes I read short-stories, novels or essays in English. For example now I'm reading Ray Bradbury's "Zen in the Art of Writing".

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 19:30  
GPX Thank you very much!
–––
We all end in the ocean All start in the streams
We're all carried along By the river of dreams

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 19:32  
Кечуа
Stephen Gallagher's "Valley of lights" shouldn't present much trouble for a novice, surely.

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 19:38  
Very unoften(does this word exist?). And even when I read books in such way, I do this very slowly and effortful.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 19:48  
Currently reading "Ghost stories" by M.R. James. Read Russian translations only to compare with original with a very few exceptions.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 19:50  

цитата V-a-s-u-a

Very unoften(does this word exist?).

Yes it is thought IMO “occasionally” would be better in the case.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июня 2011 г. 23:30  
Like V-a-s-u-a, "very unoften" :-))) Sometimes I read short-stories (if they are writen by somebody of my favorites writers and they aren't translated to Russian), but my English is not very well for do it more often.
–––
My own story comes from all the stories I’ve heard.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 00:01  
Practically all the time. I'll have a much more difficult time answering "how often I read in Russian" :-)))
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 00:04  
I'd say 50/50. I read some translated books, since I enjoy really reading in Russian, and at the moment can't find enough of interesting original Russian books to satisfy this urge (sadly:-(((). On the other hand, I switch immediately to English version (for books in English, obviously), as soon as I have any concerns about the quality of the translation. And clearly there are a lot of books that are either not translated at all, or translated unbelievably late => reading them in English.
–––
Love me two times, I'm going away.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2011 г. 00:22  

цитата Lipka

And clearly there are a lot of books that are either not translated at all, or translated unbelievably late

Sad, but true. :-(((
–––
My own story comes from all the stories I’ve heard.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 11:39  

цитата esperanza-16

Sad, but true.

Don’t forget the problem of translation quality. In general the better the book the more it loses in translation. Take for example the infamous story of “Harry Potter” in Russian… Sometimes bad translation could ruin the impression of the book completely.

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 23 июня 2011 г. 12:48  

цитата Mezeh

Sometimes bad translation could ruin the impression of the book completely.

+500! For example, "Viriconium" by John M. Harrison — its not very bad, but need more serious and deeper translation.
As to me — im regulary trying to reed english books, but its realy more slowly. But its its a big pleasure to read the book, that will not be publish by Russian — C. S. Smith, T. Ligotti, W. de la Mare, J. Gale and many others...

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 26 июня 2011 г. 20:54  
Probably every fourth is in english.

цитата Mezeh

Take for example the infamous story of “Harry Potter” in Russian… Sometimes bad translation could ruin the impression of the book completely.

Why are you reading translated books if you can do it in original?

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 09:17  

цитата Dr. Max

Why are you reading translated books if you can do it in original?

цитата Mezeh

(I) Read Russian translations only to compare with original with a very few exceptions.

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 09:38  
Mezeh Yeah, I see. I mean you read the original book, got the idea, the plot, took a pleasure or not and after that you read this book one more time in translation just to compare... Maybe you are a translator?:-)

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 10:34  
No I’m not. And please note I never said that I reread the whole books in translation. ;-)

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 11:04  
I read books in English almost all the year round :) It is because I read two or three books at the same time (depending on the season) — one in English and one in Russian in Moscow, and one in Russian in the country house.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 11:38  
Obviously, Harry Potter is a best series to rise your level with.
As the style "grows" from the previous book to the next (accompaning young reader by the idea), so will be your language.

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 27 июня 2011 г. 12:58  
How often? Hardly ever:-(
–––
Истина мне дороже головы!(с)профессор, "12 месяцев"
В случае бана доступен вк * * * Истина где-то рядом***
Страницы: 123...678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

Новое сообщение по теме «How often do you read books in English»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх