What are you reading now

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

What are you reading now?

автор  сообщение

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 25 февраля 2016 г. 11:32  
My main problem is my small vocabulary. There are too much unknown words for me in english books.
–––
Настоящий фанат аниме должен сделать три вещи: затопить горы, пробурить небо и уехать в Москву.

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 25 февраля 2016 г. 15:48  
I am reading japanese novel "Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri" — fantasy world of might and magic is fighting against our (japanese) technological civilization. The anime-adaptation of this novel motivated me to read original text but in English translation. I just don't want to wait the next episodes and seasons. I really enjoy reading this book because English is quite simple. I have tried reading Dickens' "Bleak House" and it appeared there is a really difficult language. It will be really helpful if some active English users open topic with suggestions about English books for learners with different language levels.

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 26 февраля 2016 г. 06:19  
Comic books are simpler than other literature. I re-read Star Wars: Empire: The Imperial Perspective recently. It was easy and enjoyable.
–––
Настоящий фанат аниме должен сделать три вещи: затопить горы, пробурить небо и уехать в Москву.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 28 февраля 2016 г. 05:39  

цитата benommen

I have tried reading Dickens' "Bleak House" and it appeared there is a really difficult language.

At least you did not start with James Joyce :-))) I'd avoid Dickens (and more or less most of the "classics") if I were you. All this "true literature" is nice and dandy but what you need is a lot of relatively modern dialogue and a fast moving plot to keep you interested. Strangely enough, old Dame Agatha is still quite good for that — try some Christie books, especially the ones with exotic plots (like Sparkling Cyanide, for example).

Also it's perfectly fine to read manga or anime adaptations in English, their translations are usually superior to Russian ones (I have practically all of Miyadzaki in English). Though you might want something with closer connections to reality — purely from practical language user point of view :-)))
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 28 февраля 2016 г. 08:41  

цитата Aryan

All this "true literature" is nice and dandy

Good words. I am reading Gustave Flaubert's "Madame Bovary" but in russian. So many good words I have heard about this book but I am surely bored reading this book.

цитата Aryan

try some Christie books, especially the ones with exotic plots
If you reccomend, it's definitely fine with me. I have had plans to read Christie's books for many years.

цитата Aryan

Also it's perfectly fine to read manga or anime adaptations in English, their translations are usually superior to Russian ones (I have practically all of Miyadzaki in English).

It's easier to find anime, manga and ranobe in English than in Russian. I have read some mangas and ranobes and there is relatively easy English. I don't have problems with that level of English. But anime with subtitles lastly I tried to avoid because there are a lot of action, scenes are changing really fast and sometimes I don't have time to read them neither in English or Russian.

цитата Aryan

Though you might want something with closer connections to reality — purely from practical language user point of view

Certainly, it doesn't matter. I try to learn any English that I can to improve my knowledge.
Thanks for your comment and advice:beer:

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 28 февраля 2016 г. 19:19  

цитата benommen

I am reading Gustave Flaubert's "Madame Bovary" but in russian. So many good words I have heard about this book but I am surely bored reading this book.

Try his Salambo. It's beautiful and infinitely more fascinating to somebody who is a longtime Fantlab frequenter 8-)
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 28 февраля 2016 г. 19:31  

цитата Aryan

Try his Salambo. It's beautiful and infinitely more fascinating to somebody who is a longtime Fantlab frequenter

I will try:beer:

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 13 сентября 2016 г. 21:15  

цитата benommen

English books for learners with different language levels.

I don't know the sphere of your interests but I highly recommend you to read books about Bob the cat: "A Street Cat Named Bob", "The World According to Bob". The author uses simple constructions and words. Moreover, it's a good opportunity to learn more about British people and their habits.
–––
Предыдущая книга - "Hogfather" by Terry Pratchett
Сейчас читаю -

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 11 декабря 2016 г. 06:27  
I found really interesting to read english books, which i was earlier had read on russian. I re-read J. Martin's "Tuf voyaging" and now I'm into "Before they are hanged" by Joe Abercrombie.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 13 марта 2017 г. 17:12  
Have recently finished off a few the latest things. Can't say I was that impressed by all of them, especially it is so (PERSONALLY) with highly-acclaimed "Ninefox Gambit". The setting is great in its strangeness but plot and characters are nothing to shout about. On the other hand, I've been pleasantly surprised with brand-new "The Fortress at the End of Time" by Joe M. McDermott. If you like "The Tartar Steppe" by Dino Buzzati, "The Fortress" is definitely worth reading.

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 22 апреля 2017 г. 00:43  
Check out John Scalzi, Old Man's War series as an example. If you are sci-fi fan. Language he is using is easy to understand and does not require knowledge of past century vocabulary. No doubt it's fun and great pleasure to read a book in it's original language. It was hard for me to read in English, but taking audio book and listen it with having 'paper' version in from of me, catch up very quickly. What had been a week or two for a book at the beginning ended with couple days for a novel.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 21 мая 2017 г. 06:41  
"The temptation of Saint Anthony" by Flaubert is not only beautiful, it is very erudite, you can learn about ancient religions and Christian sects, and in the description of these sects you can find ideas for writing fantasy.

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 22 июня 2017 г. 22:22  
I plan to re-read the book as soon as released in this series there are 3-4 more books.
–––
Быть врачом — самая важная и самая гуманная профессия в мире.
Легко осуждать перевод ни разу не прочитав цикл в оригинале.

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 20 января 2019 г. 13:45  
Right now I'm reading "Places in the darkness" by Chris Brookmyre. It depicts the interactions between the future tech and society.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 24 сентября 2020 г. 14:38  
I am reading right now Harry Potter's book, i think it's very interesting to improve my english.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 2 октября 2020 г. 17:42  

цитата Cobby

I am reading right now Harry Potter's book, i think it's very interesting to improve my english.

The hobbit is also good for this ;-)

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 18 октября 2020 г. 08:51  

цитата IDGAFF

The hobbit is also good for this

Yeah, I would recommend Tolkien's works like the Hobbit for improving English over Harry Potter. Harry Potter is not really an educated style of book compared to Tolkien's Hobbit.

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 18 октября 2020 г. 08:53  
Lately I have been reading Gennady Smolin's "How They Poisoned Bulgakov." But it feels like most of what Smolin writes in the book was not thought of by the author as actual fact. It feels often like Smolin is writing a fantasy story. The stories in it are sometimes so fantastic that it seems he was writing Fantasy.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 19 января 2021 г. 10:48  
I just finished reading "William H Patterson Jr — Robert A Heinlein- In Dialogue with His Century". It's monumental biography of renown grandmaster of SF and very exciting reading too. It took me two monthes to read but I cherihed every moment of it. And now I begin reading Alex Panshin's "Heinlein in Dimension", it's more scholarly book, but amusing in it's own kind especially taking into account complex relations between Heinlein and Panshin.

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 28 декабря 2023 г. 02:36  
All sorts of different things.
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «What are you reading now?»

Новое сообщение по теме «What are you reading now?»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх