How often do you read books ...

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

How often do you read books in English

Варианты ответов Мой голос

Внимание! Для голосования Вам нужно пройти авторизацию
 автор  сообщение

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 19 мая 2014 г. 02:03  
Preferably without "uglificating" your English in the process :-)))
–––
Eramos pocos y parió la abuela

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2014 г. 19:58  

цитата Клюква

Would you be so kind to explain this notion of "word uglification"?

It means that the word is pronounced with great distortions of the symbols. You can't imagine the final sounding of any word if you don't know the combinations of symbols and their sounding. Besides, the sounds in English are very ugly as if people have no normal and healthy articulation or as if they have few teeth. In Italian, Russian and German situation is more adequate. But the ideal is the pronounciation which coincides with written symbols.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2014 г. 20:32  

цитата zombart

Besides, the sounds in English are very ugly as if people have no normal and healthy articulation or as if they have few teeth.

Bullshit! :-)))
–––

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2014 г. 20:56  

цитата Aryan

Bullshit!

In other words, I am right. You can't object to it.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2014 г. 21:42  
I won't — there is a difference, not sure you could grasp it. You state smth totally asinine — more fool you.
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2014 г. 21:45  

цитата zombart

the final sounding of any word

цитата zombart

symbols and their sounding.

цитата zombart

the sounds in English are very ugly

Considering the state of your English, you shouldn't be so cocky :-)))
–––

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 28 мая 2014 г. 18:50  

цитата Aryan

You state smth totally asinine — more fool you.

You are just a person who don't have any arguments. That is why you are trying to offend me. But the truth is hard and fast. English is as abnormal as possible. Starting with "you" and "You". It's great! Very interesting and wisely.

цитата Aryan

Considering the state of your English

General phrases.

цитата Клюква

I am agree!

This is a good state of English? But of course you don't notice it. You don't want. Because you decided to notice only mine. Without explanations again.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 29 мая 2014 г. 01:42  

цитата zombart

Because you decided to notice only mine

Simply because no one else managed to make that many mistakes while issuing such ludicrous statements :-D

цитата zombart

English is as abnormal as possible. Starting with "you" and "You". It's great! Very interesting and wisely.

you lost me there. :-))) I would recommend trying Webster and some basic grammar manual.
–––

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 16 июля 2014 г. 20:01  

цитата Aryan

to make that many mistakes

You can not prove it. That's why you evade direct questions. You can just slander me. I think you like it.

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 16 июля 2014 г. 22:51  

цитата zombart

You can not prove it.

I don't need to — you have already proven it yourself with all your posts :-)))
–––

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 10 ноября 2014 г. 07:29  
My English has improved significantly in few past years, however, even now I rarely read English books (though in the Internet, I read texts mostly in English), and if I do, it's something I've never read in Russian before and usually that also hasn't been translated.
–––
My own story comes from all the stories I’ve heard.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 29 ноября 2014 г. 01:27  
Hey, girls and guys and others! Here is a list of websites where you can read science fiction and fantasy short stories for free. Enjoy your reading! 8:-0
–––
Кораблю - взлёт!

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 27 мая 2015 г. 17:15  
Hi there,

If you are only beginning to learn English, you'd better read books adapted for your level of English (usually there are four or five levels). But if your English is advanced enough then reading will surely broaden your vocabulary as well as improve your understanding of style, humor and other things that only fiction can possess.
The more you read in English the easier and more enjoyable it (reading) will become for you.
Generally, if you come across more than 15% of unknown words in the book you will eventually lose interest for that particular book. The best percentage for easy reading is 5-10 % of unknown words in a book you choose to read. That is why I do recomend graded reading.

Take care and good luck.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 16 февраля 2017 г. 10:32  
Looks like this topic is not that active, but I feel obligated to add a comment in addition to my vote. I clicked on the second option: on average I read 70-90 books a year, 10-15 of them in English. If a book written in English has a good Russian translation I usually choose it over reading the original. However all the fanfiction I read is in English, so in reality it is a 50/50 situation :-)
–––
В любой непонятной ситуации пей чай и читай.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 19 июня 2018 г. 21:23  
Hi there! It seems the topic is almost abandoned, but maybe there'll be someone alive out there. :)

I've been reading books in English since 2014, but my "rate" of reading is quite varying because of certain reasons. Two novels in 2014 and three ones in 2015 were followed by one each year after that. Regarding shorter fiiction, there was a "surge" in reading novelettes and short stories in 2016 and 2017, so it compensated, to certain degree, the lack of reading novels. The only I can say is that the entire current amount of books being read in English fairly doesn't satisfy my needs...

I know that I haven't read many books and short fiction stories in English by now, so there are many to follow. But, as one can notice, I try to write the reviews on what I've read in the original, paying special attention to the quality of Russian translation(s). I think they may be considered as, sort of, advices for future readers which translation (if any) they should prefer.

P.S. It's too damn hard to accept that some books/stories you liked a lot in English may never be translated into Russian. Not that it's a problem to negotiate with authors and their agents — they are very friendly most of time, — but it's enormously difficult to find a Russian publisher for these stories...

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 21 июля 2018 г. 22:23  
It's a pleasure to read in original. Poetry especially.

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 20 января 2019 г. 13:38  
I'm reading original sci-fi books just because there is no hope to get a translation ever, despite the books are worth reading at minimum.

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 5 сентября 2019 г. 16:47  
Now I try to refresh my English knowledge, so I started to read a book, intermediate level, at least 3 times a week I read it.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 13 января 2020 г. 21:38  
I always prefer reading books in English if they were originally written in languages other than Russian. Actually, lately I almost never read fiction created by Russian writers. So English makes about 99.9% of my reading time.

The same applies to watching movies. Sometimes I switch audio tracks to compare translated parts with original version. Quite often the translation is poor, especially when gags or jokes are not translated at all, but are rather replaced with a meaningless or empty talk.
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

Новое сообщение по теме «How often do you read books in English»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх