How often do you read books ...

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

How often do you read books in English

Варианты ответов Мой голос

Внимание! Для голосования Вам нужно пройти авторизацию
 автор  сообщение

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 7 января 2013 г. 02:45  
bacumur , aha, please do it!
–––
Умей восхищаться нелюбимым

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 8 января 2013 г. 16:58  
Not that often, to be honest. Despite having lived in the US for quite a while, I still find it much harder to enjoy the actual writing, being constantly interrupted by looking up words and expressions in the dictionary. Reading a translated version of a book goes much smoother.

миротворец

Ссылка на сообщение 14 января 2013 г. 22:50  
Well, actually, if I can get hold of a book in English, I`ll normally read it in English. Only when I`m too lazy to search for the original, I do a bit of timesaving and deal with the translated version which might turn out to be quite fab or really disgusting.
–––
Night gathers and my watch begins.

магистр

Ссылка на сообщение 25 января 2013 г. 15:44  
I do my best to read books in English. So long as it takes 2-3 times longer, my inner voice indicates me how many new books I could have read in Russian. :-(
Strange but fact that I memorize some details better when reading books in English. Thus I can remember cabbage smell in the hallway of mansion (1984 by George Orwell). It's sorrowful but I doubt I could memorize this reading in Russian.
Moreover, there are two different ways I perceive the text. It's hard to explain: the content and atmosphere are the same. Perhaps it is caused by language syntax. Or perhaps my English is not enough to perceive the text on the same level I perceive the same text in Russian.
Nevertheless, to reread books in English is a good chance to confirm or to reject my hypothesis. The Chronicles of Amber, Discworld, The Wheel of Time, beware!
–––
Давайте будем людьми хотя бы до тех пор, пока наука не откроет, что мы являемся чем-то другим. (с)

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 26 января 2013 г. 07:11  
I have found so many books have very poor translation, sometime translator doesn't know the terms or just simple do not understand the context. The good example is the last captain Vorpatril. In the beginning Ivan talks to himself Next time use the security screen. It was translated as секьюрити экран, which is totally wrong. In fact it is some kind of the door answering machine.
Thus I usually prefer to read the book in english if it was originally written that way

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 27 января 2013 г. 00:47  

цитата ipstas

The good example is the last captain Vorpatril

You mean the fan's translation of Captain Vorpatril's Alliance? Oh, come on.. this sweet lady does a really great job ;-) And let's forgive her for just a couple of awkwardly used terms :)
–––
Brainy is the new sexy (c)

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 27 января 2013 г. 03:05  
Maybe she is sweet, but she needs to learn a bit. I have not checked what else is wrong there, maybe the rest is fine, however that mistake was a real turn off

авторитет

Ссылка на сообщение 27 января 2013 г. 03:27  
Hellp my plz. What book is very easy to read? Iz that Tolkien?
–––

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 27 января 2013 г. 10:52  
No, it is definitely not Tolkien. He uses stylization for old English and therefore not recommended for beginners. Myself I started with Robert Asprin Myth series.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 3 февраля 2013 г. 01:37  
Actually, "The Hobbit" is a good easy read even for those who aren't perfect in English. It's a children's book, after all.
–––
Врагов своих надо любить, врагов государства — уничтожать, а врагов Бога — гнушаться. (с) Святитель Филарет Московский

новичок

Ссылка на сообщение 21 февраля 2013 г. 00:09  
I read the most of books in English, but it's so because of my area of the research. But when we speak about the Russian classical literature, I think we should read its original version. But reading in English is pretty fun and makes sense in case of development of your thinking and ability to speak and think in your preferable language. In my opinion in prior of learning the language you must read and every word counts in this situation.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 6 марта 2013 г. 05:11  
I mostly read in English now. I live in Finland where English books are easier to find than Russian ones. :-))) And it's easier to order them online — there are many shops that deliver English books to Finland, but not Russian literature.

However, the local library just got lots of Russian books, so I'll check them soon. 8:-0 There are many Russian immigrants here, and libraries provide literature in many languages for us, so sweet. :-)
–––
Кораблю - взлёт!

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 6 марта 2013 г. 05:12  

цитата Nadia Yar

Actually, "The Hobbit" is a good easy read even for those who aren't perfect in English. It's a children's book, after all.

For me The Hunger Games was much easier to read than The Hobbit. 8:-0
–––
Кораблю - взлёт!

гранд-мастер

Ссылка на сообщение 16 ноября 2013 г. 18:55  
This year i wanted to read most of English authors in English. But... i read only three((((
–––
Белых крыльев давно за спиною нет (Канцлер Ги)

миродержец

Ссылка на сообщение 6 декабря 2013 г. 23:37  
First of all, I move to English when I know this is a very good book by an Author I usually trust, and the Russian translation is unbearable.
Second, when I like the book, and first I had it in Russian, I often have a feeling I could discover some more when reading the original version. And it is almost always true.
Further, when I see that there are an interesting new book, after Hugo Awards, for example, or when I know that expected next part of favourite saga is coming out, I read it as soon as I can get it.

Well, some times there are translations which are better than the original book, for example this is "Solar Queen" ("Королева Солнца" Андре Нортон), in ABS translation. But it is unfortunately not the typical situation.

The main idea in my point of view is to read the original book. That would be the only way to get the very impression Author would like us to have. So I follow this normally. This is fortunately a lot of opportunities now to get any book you want relatively fast and easy. Happy we are.
–––
Верные слова не изящны... (Лао Цзы)

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 9 мая 2014 г. 21:55  
Oh, it's fun to talk english, something unusual and useful for language students like me ^^

Well, usually I read books in english to improve my language skills, and for this purpose I choose either something famous from english litterature or just new bestsellers. In the last case I try to find something comprehensible. Now I read Joan's Rowling "Casual Vacancy", a novel that has had a lot of good critics for its diversity of characters and a very realistic embodiment of social life in England.

The book is quite comprehensible, but Rowling has a very large vocabulary, she uses a lot of french loan words (or "adoptions") as well as familiar expressions which I seldom understand. In any case, it's not so difficult to read.

But if I read something for pleasure, I prefer to read it in russian. The reason is quite obvious — I don't understand certain details that actually create an image of a book and are rather important. For example, I read all the books of Harry potter in russian, and I loved it, but when I read one of them in english, it seemed boring to me, without its bright colors. Besides, you lose some pleasure while reading as you have to think at every word you don't understand and it blocks the spontenity and lightness of reading.
–––
Если человек счастлив по умолчанию, не лезьте, пожалуйста, в настройки.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 9 мая 2014 г. 21:59  

цитата Nadia Yar

Actually, "The Hobbit" is a good easy read

I have all the books of "The Lord of the Rings" cycle that are waiting for me... We'll see how will it pass. But the first two pages of The Hobbit were affordable :-)
–––

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 9 мая 2014 г. 22:04  

цитата Mezeh

For me French people talking English is a torture

I am agree! As I live in France and make my studies in languages, I can prove that it's a hell for me to hear a french person talking english. It's comprehensible, but the accent is awful, besides, they don't have the sound "h" in french, so in english they don't pronounce it too.
–––

активист

Ссылка на сообщение 12 мая 2014 г. 21:29  
The best languages are the languages without uglification of the written word. English has one of the strongest uglification when a person pronounces a word. Such languages as Italian, German, Russian have much less of uglification.

философ

Ссылка на сообщение 14 мая 2014 г. 01:18  

цитата zombart

uglification of the written word

Would you be so kind to explain this notion of "word uglification"?
–––
Страницы: 12345678    🔍 поиск

Вы здесь: Форумы fantlab.ru > Форум «English forum on Fantlab.ru» > Тема «How often do you read books in English»

Новое сообщение по теме «How often do you read books in English»
Инструменты   

Внимание! Чтобы общаться на форуме, Вам нужно пройти авторизацию:

Авторизация

логин:
пароль:
регистрация | забыли пароль?

⇑ Наверх